Health & Wellness Tip of the Week 9/17-9/23/12
- Posted in Health & Wellness Tips
Become More Active Every Day
We recommend at least 30 minutes of exercise, 5 days a week at a moderate-intensity level. Moderate-intensity activity causes a slightly increased rate of breathing and heart rate. It can be described as feeling “light” to “somewhat hard”.
Easy ways to add this type of activity to your daily routine:
- Park the car farther away from your destination.
- Get on or off the bus several blocks away.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Take fitness breaks instead of cigarette or coffee breaks. Walk, stretch or do some office exercises.
- Perform gardening, yard work, heavy house cleaning, or home-repair activities.
- Avoid labor-saving devices; turn off the self-propel option on your lawn mower or vacuum cleaner, and hide all of your TV remotes.
- Exercise while watching TV. For example, use hand weights, a stationary bike or treadmill, stretch, or perform body-weight exercises such as crunches, push-ups and squats.
- Keep a pair of comfortable walking or running shoes in your car and office. You’ll be ready for activity wherever you go!
- Walk while doing errands.
Benefits of Exercise: Besides making you feel better, regular exercise lowers blood pressure, improves cholesterol, reduces stress and prevents Type II diabetes.