Health & Wellness Tip of the Week 9/3-9/9/2012
- Posted in Health & Wellness Tips
Build a Better Burrito
Are you craving that spicy, south-of-the-border cuisine? Well, skip the local burrito joint. Those burritos can contain more than 1,000 calories–and more depending on how many fixings you add. Instead, round up the muchachos and throw a build-your-own burrito fiesta!
The basic building blocks of burritos are tortillas, meat, and beans, which provide a healthy amount of protein, complex carbohydrates, and fiber. By applying these burrito-building tips, you can trim the excess calories, fat, and sodium, but keep the flavor.
Easy ways to cut the Calories and Fat:
- Replace ground beef with lean ground round or ground turkey breast.
- Use fat free refried beans or canned beans of your choice; avoid beans canned with lard.
- Cheeses with stronger tastes (like sharp cheddar) allow you to use less without sacrificing flavor.
- Enjoy a small dollop of guacamole. Avocados provide healthy, monounsaturated fat.
- Try a taco or burrito seasoning, labeled 30% less sodium.
- Use corn tortillas, which have less sodium, instead of flour tortillas.
- Add extra beans for flavor, protein, and fiber.